Indian Army Technical Graduate Course (TGC) Eligibility Details
: Indian Army invites applications from Male Married/ Unmarried Engineering Graduates from recognized University including temporary Central/ State Govt. servants, serving personnel of the regular Army and Territorial Army (including officers of Territorial Army) and serving personnel of Navy and Air Force for grant of permanent commission in the Indian Army for TGC twice in a year. The eligibility details are as follows…
1. Nationality: The candidate must be a Indian citizen.
2. Age Limit: Candidates age should be between 20 to 27 years (born between 02 Jan 87 and 01 Jan 94) for Engineering Graduates and between 23 to 27 years (born between 02 Jan 87 and 01 Jan 91) for AEC post.
3. Education Qualification:
(i)For Engineers: Candidates studying in the Final Year of Engineering Degree and who are qualified graduates of the Degree Course in Engineering will be eligible to apply. The qualified graduates of the Degree Course must possess Engineering Degree at the time of joining training. The candidates studying in the final year of Degree Course, if not already in possession of the Degree Certificate should be able to produce the Engineering Degree within 12 weeks from the date of commencement of training at IMA. Such candidates will be inducted for training at IMA on Additional Bond Basis for recovery of the cost of training as notified from time to time as well as stipend and pay & allowances paid, in case they fail to produce the requisite degree certificate.
Important Note: Candidates must note that the minimum educational qualification for induction into TGC is BE/ B.Tech degree in the engineering stream notified in Para (1) above. Therefore, to become eligible for induction into TGC, candidates studying in final year of engineering must complete all the formalities including viva voce etc f or award of qualifying BE/ B.Tech degree before commencement of course, failing which their candidature is liable to be cancelled.
(ii) For Army Education Corps: MA/ M.Sc Degree in 1st or 2nd division from a university recognized by AIU in English/ Economics/ History/ Geography/ Pol Science/ Psychology Physics/ Chemistry/ Maths/ Computer Science/ Chinese/ Tibetan/ Burmese/ Pushto/ Dari/ Arabic. Final year appearing candidates are not eligible for Army Education Corps (AEC)
4. Physical Standard:
(i)Height & Weight: The minimum acceptable height and weight for men is 157.5 cms with correlated weight. In case of candidates belonging to the North East and hilly areas like Gorkhas, Nepalese, Assamese and Garhwalis, the height will be relaxed by 5 cms and weight commensurate with reduced height. In case of candidates from Lakshadweep, the minimum acceptable height can be reduced by 2cms.
(ii) Visual Standards: The minimum acceptable visual acuity are: Distant vision (corrected) better eye 6/6, worse 6/18, Myopia of not more than minus 3.5 including Astigmation. Candidates who have undergone or have evidence for having undergone Radial Karatotomy to improve the visual acuity will be permanently rejected. Candidates who have undergone Lasik Surgery for Correction of reflective error are not acceptable.
(iii)Permanent Body Tattoos: Permanent body tattoos are only permitted on inner face of forearm i.e. from inside of elbow to the wrist and on the reverse side of palm/ back (dorsal) side of hand. Permanent body tattoos on any other part of the body are not acceptable and candidates will be barred from further selection. Tribes with tattoos marks on the face or body as per their existing custom and traditions will be permitted on a case to case basis.
(iv) To pass fit, a candidate must be in good physical and mental health free from any disability.
(v) Prospective candidates are advised to exercise and keep themselves physically fit, in order to avoid any injury due to the rigorous physical training at Indian Military Academy. In order to be able to adjust to the regime there candidates are advised to achieve following standards before joining the IMA,
if finally selected:-
(a) Running 2.4 Km in 15 minutes
(b) Pus h ups – 13 Nos
(c) Sit ups – 25 Nos
(d) Chin ups – 6 Nos
(e) Rope climbing – 3-4 metres
Indian Army TGC Selection Procedure: Indian Army invites applications from Male Married/ Unmarried Engineering Graduates from recognized University including temporary Central/ State Govt. servants, serving personnel of the regular Army and Territorial Army (including officers of Territorial Army) and serving personnel of Navy and Air Force for grant of permanent commission in the Indian Army for Admission into Technical Graduate Course (TGC) twice in a year. The selection process followed by Indian Army TGC has been detailed below…
Selection Procedure Details: Selection Process is based on Psychological Aptitude Test, SSB Interview and Medical Examination.
1. Shortlisting of Applications and SSB Interviews: Integrated HQ of MoD (Army) reserves the right to shortlist applications and to fix cutoff percentage of marks without assigning any reason. Initial checking of applications will be done at Directorate General Recruiting, Army HQs. Only shortlisted eligible candidates depending on aggregate percentage of marks scored will be called for and assessed under aegis of Selection Centers, namely Allahabad (UP), Bhopal (MP) and Bangalore (Karnataka) by Psychologist, Group Testing Officer and Interviewing Officer. Candidates will not be interviewed locally. Allotment of Selection C entre is at the discretion of Army Headquarters and no requests of changes are entertained in this regard.
2. Two Stage Selection Procedure: Two stage selection procedure based on Psychological Aptitude Test is held at Selection Centers. All the candidates will face stage one test on first day of reporting at Selection Centers. The candidates who qualify in stage one will be admitted to the second stage/remaining tests. Those who fail to pass stage one will be returned on the same date.
3. Merit List: It is to be noted that mere qualifying at the SSB interview does not confirm final selection. A merit list is prepared for every qualification subject separately purely on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates at SSB’s interview and as such higher educational qualifications, previous performances, NCC background etc have no role to play. Those high in the merit list and who come within the stipulated vacancies, and are medically fit are issued joining instruction for pre commissioning training.
5. Medical Examination: Candidate recommended by the Service Selection Board will undergo a medical examination by a Board of Service Medical Officers.
Note: Candidates are advised in their own interest to undergo a preliminary medical checkup for wax in ears, DNS, defective colour vision, over weight/under weight, piles, gynaecomastics, tonsillitis and visicocle before reporting for the SSB interview.