N.R. Narayana Murthy
The Life and achievements of Mr. Narayana Murthy are fine examples to be followed. He has proved that hard work and intelligence put together, take one to any heights.
FAMOUS AS : Founder of Infosys
NATIONALITY : Indian
RELIGION : Hinduism
BORN ON : 20 August 1946
BORN IN : Mysore
SPOUSE/PARTNER: Sudha Murthy
CHILDREN : Rohan Murthy, Akshata Murthy
University of Mysore
Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
National Institute of Engineering
FOUNDER/CO-FOUNDER : Infosys
Padma Shri – 2000
Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) – 2007 Padma Vibhushan – 2008
Officer of the Legion of Honor – 2008
- His father was a teacher.
- After Schooling in his native place, he took Engineering degree in Electical Science from the University of Mysore in 1967, then took degree in Master of Technology in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur in 1969.
- After this, he took up a job in SESA in Paris. He worked with a team to design a real time operating system for handling air cargo for Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris. He proved his capability there as an intelligent engineer.
- After his return to India, he joined the Patni Computer Systems in Pune. There he met a lady engineer Ms. Sudha, who later became his wife. A. Prasanna, who is now the Managing Director and CEO if Wipdro G.E. a computer concern, was his close friend there.
- Narayana Murthy started his company ‘Infosys’ with six others in 1981.
- The company did not fare well in the beginning and its annual turnover remained at Rs. 50 crores.
- His meticulous planning and able execution of the schemes made the company grow in leaps and bounds. Profits of the company started soaring and reached 293.52 milliom. The company’s income, generated outside India rose from Rs. 50 to 90 crores.
- Today, the net worth of Infosys is several billions. Apart from providing employment to thousands of engineers and others, Infosys earns considerable amount of valuable foreign exchange.
- Infosys Technologies became the first India-registered company to be listed in the American Stock Exchange (NASDAQ:INFY).
- He has been the president of National Association of Software and Service Companies (NASSCOM) from 1992-94.
- Narayana Murthy is a member of the National Information Technology Task Force of India. Now he is also a Director, Board of the Reserve Bank of India.
- In 2000-2001 he was awarded the Business Baron of the Year award. He was given the Max Schmidheiny Award in 2001. In June 2000 he was listed as one of the Asia’s most powerful people in Asia Week power. In the Year 1999, he was named as one of the top entrepreneurs of the year in the Business Week. In the same year he was selected as the Businessman of the Year of 1999 by the Business India.
- It is the Indian Corporate World’s most coveted award. In 1996-97 he was awarded the JRD Tata Corporate leadership award. The business Week chose him as one of the stars of Asia for three years i.e. 1998, 1999 and 2000. In 1998, he was conferred the distinguished ‘Alumni Award’ by the Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur.
- Narayana Murthy has brought yup his two children in a very diligent way and they also have picked up the simplicity from their parents.